Thursday, January 17, 2008

Lifelong Learning and Forever Fur continues...

Congrats to Sarah who correctly identified that the lining piece was more like the front and not the lining. As I had stated, this is largely due to my own inexperience, but I must also give credit to Burda WoF's lovely instructions as well. With regards to the lining, it stated "cut piece 1 less the width of the facing." The pattern piece has a facing fold line marked, so that's basically where I cut the lining. I realize what I *should* have done was fold the facing piece back onto the front piece and the resulting curve would be the seam line for the lining. See the difference below? Live and learn...
Now, I had to remove what seemed like an awful lot of fabric, but it made sense to do so because there really was a huge amount of excess when I had first basted in the lining. That was the first thing that clued me into my pattern cutting error. I could understand there being some overlap at the hem, but none of the jackets I own had that sort of feature at the facing.

Fortunately, there seems to be *just* enough seam allowance left not to disrupt my very first welt pocket! At first I tried to follow the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, but it was rather weak in its instructions. Of course I then had to surf the web to find what I needed. Honestly, I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the internet. I guess only sew napkins and pillow cases?? Fashion Incubator has a great tutorial on how to do the double welt pocket, but she doesn't address the application of the pocket bag. Her's is just the welts. Debbie Cook's Tutorial on the Palmer/Pletsch method includes the pocket bags and was a bit easier to follow for me. I think it looks pretty nice for my first try, and with really slippery fabric too boot. Live and learn...
In that vein, and because I love being a student, I have signed up to take a sewing class at the local community college! They have a fashion design and marketing curriculum that seems fairly comprehensive. I'll be taking the Advanced Sewing Techniques class and I'm *ridiculously* excited about it. Time seems to be moving slowly this afternoon because I can't wait for 6pm to arrive...

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Great welt pocket. Congrats on getting to go to a sewing class. You will get to learn sooo much. I wish our local university had sewing classes. Enjoy!

Chicago Sarah said...

OH tell! I'm so jealous...a real sewing class... You shall have to share all the insider tips you get and post your projects!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first welt pocket---I agree that the Reader's Digest instructions for welt pockets stink. Have fun at your class, it sounds like a lot of fun...

Christina said...

Nice welt pocket. I still haven't made one myself! I'm going to bookmark that tutorial.

That sounds like a great class. My local community college has an apparel design program but you've got to be enrolled in the 2-year program to take the classes.