Sunday, January 6, 2008

Attention: Sway Back Alert!

For a jacket that was advertised as a "fast sew project, this is really not turning out to be one, let me just say. This is not necessarily a bad thing, however, as I do have quite a bit of time on my hands currently. I cut out the collar in a manner I figured would be conducive to looking good and as for layout, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The lining has been cut, with an ease pleat added for movement in the back. However, after sewing the side seams, I don't see that I'll have need for extra ease in the back. Check it out people:

Never mind the pocket flaps masquerading as side fins. Look at the waist! Do you see that pooch in the back right above my hips? The last time I had this bad of a fabric excess, the dress landed in the UFO pile and hasn't seen the light of day since. I refuse to let that happen to this jacket.

So, how to correct the sway back on a pattern with no center back seam? Good question, good question. Since I don't have enough usable fur to cut new pieces with a center seam that can be altered, it looks like darts are going to be my only option. The hip looks like it sits well; not too tight, not too loose. Despite that fold on the right underarm there, the upper back does fit well. That fold was because the right shoulder seam basting was coming undone and I needed to readjust the front , but the hubby just wanted to take the photo and get back to his book.

The only concern I have with darts is, well, they really suck to sew in this fur. In order to sew the bust darts, I had to cut the fabric before sewing. So I kind of feel like I just get one shot with this bad boy...Not much room for error.

Any other suggestions?

3 comments:

Chicago Sarah said...

Hmmm. Never having worked with fur, I have no ideas but just wanted to say - it's looking good. I've been lurking watching your project because I wasn't sure what to say- now I say I like!

Emily said...

Rosanne, I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog! Your jacket project is great - though I don't have any suggestions for you about the fit (other than darts, which you already know). It looks so cozy! Cambridge is so wonderful - I grew up on a farm in South Dakota, so it's been quite a change for me, but I really love it here. Thanks also for the tips about reading up on the message boards on Pattern Review. I spent a good while yesterday reading a couple of wedding dress threads - helpful!

Emily said...

Thanks for all the great tips! I have heard about Vows, but I haven't been to check it out just yet. For inspiration, I dragged a friend of mine all around Back Bay to the most expensive boutiques (I lied about my budget too!) -- we went to Vera Wang, L'Elite, and Priscilla's of Boston. But, I am keeping Vows as a back-up plan (in case my making a dress doesn't work out!). I'm glad to hear that you were successful at Vows - makes me think that I'll definitely be able to buy off-the-rack there if I get myself into a sewing mishap! We're getting married in Maine, actually, which is where my fiance grew up. We'll also have a reception/dance in South Dakota for my friends and family who can't make it to Maine. Both of my parents grew up in the town I also grew up in, so we have tons of family and friends there. It must have been lovely to have your reception at the Inn at Harvard - it's gorgeous in there!