Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Sexy beast...

also known as Vogue 2980. Feast your eyes on my very first animal print in the wardrobe proper. I say this because, well, don't we all have animal print undies in a drawer somewhere? I think mine was one of the first independently purchased pair in my collection. Too much information? eh...


Pattern Description:
From the envelope: Close-fitting, pull over tops for stretch knits, have draped bolero shoulders. I made view B, with the self-lined short sleeves.

Pattern Sizing:
This is one of Sandra Betzina's Today's Fit patterns. All sizes are in one envelope, from A-J, bust sizes from 32" to 55," which is very nice, I must say. I think it is really only possible because there are just 4 pieces for both tops. 4 per pattern, with 2 sleeve options.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think it looks better! Actually, I was thinking this would fabulous extended to dress length. As it is, it's a sexy top in the leopard print, while still somehow being fairly conservative since there is no cleavage showing and no upper arm, etc.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
These are probably the best instruction set I've ever seen. They include 5 bullets regarding how to grade up and down in sizing, etc. She even has a sentence for the small shouldered ladies out there or if your arms have a larger circumference. I am fortunate that pretty much the only alteration I have is a sway back or maybe extending for height. She also gives a tip for cutting layout and that you should mark the pattern pieces at the pleats.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really like the style, which is classic without being stuffy or too conservative. In general, I like to dress with a bit of a sexy edge that isn't too va-va-voom. Meaning, I like to emphasize curves without showing an excess of skin. This pattern fits right into that style. However, as other reviewers have noted before me, it is cut very close fitting. It fits roughly the same as some of my work out tops through the chest but it's not obvious because of the fabric. Also, the shoulder/collar piece is somewhat loose fitting, so it distracts from the snug bodice. Moreover, the arms are *just* right on me. I have found that nothing makes tops look too small than pinching flesh and the worst offenders are at the upper arm and at a (too short) waist. We've all seen them, but if you need a refresher, head to your local mall some Friday night and do some people watching at the food court. Thankfully, this top doesn't hit me like that and it is long enough as it drafted! Yay!

Fabric Used:
Hah! This was a 32" remnant from the 75% bin at Joann's last week. I was seriously concerned that I wouldn't have enough yardage since the envelope calls for 1.25 yards, but I figured I could wing it. It was *just* enough for the size B I cut. Literally, I couldn't have done it if I had cut a C. So, how much did this top cost me? $1.55 for the fabric + $3.99 = $5.54, plus thread, etc. I almost didn't buy the remnant because I wasn't sure what I could make with so little fabric. But then, I am an incurable stasher, so not buying the perfect animal print was impossible. This was definitely one occasion that the fabric just spoke to me. It really wanted to become Vogue 2980. Dude, it was $5.50!

I have always thought that you can usually get away with a good 1/4 to 1/2 yard shortage from what the envelope recommends.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I can't say that I would make any alterations. It's pretty perfect as is. I don't think I even need to hem it since it looks fine as is. I probably will eventually, though. Hems are my achilles heel and are usually what keeps me from finishing projects. Gotta love those knits!!!!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I think I will sew it again, but as an a-line dress. This would be beautiful in a matte jersey at a mid-knee length. Perhaps one could also do a contrast for the sleeves and the collar. That was one of the considerations I had, actually, given the less than ideal yardage at hand. As it was, I just had to make sure no mistakes were made, but it was so easy to put together mistakes are unlikely.

Conclusion
A fabulous top! I love, love, love it! Make it, you won't regret it. Just keep in mind that there is zero to negative ease. If you are uncomfortable with that or want it to fit like it does on the envelope, go one size up. If you want to be a sexy beast, however...

One more view, which reminds me I really need to clean the mirror in the second bathroom. Sorry! I don't really have an excuse anymore since I'm not working 60 hours any more...

4 comments:

LauraLo said...

This is gorgeous!

MéLisa said...

Great top! You arew making me sorry that I put that knit remnant back at Hancocks yesterday! Oh well!!! I'll know for next time!

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful top, thanks for sharing!
(Sandra Betzina--my sewing inspiration)

Anonymous said...

Love it! I'm putting it on my to do list after seeing your version.