Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Spring cleaning...

One of the things I love about sewing is that it is very holistic in nature. One must consider the whole while handling all the parts individually and the treatment of the parts overall effect the final outcome. Crappy fabric and your not likely to end up with a something you will actually wear, etc. I have found myself since moving to the Valley of the Sun seeing things in a much more holistic way than I had previously. In reaction to living in an unhealthy environment (constant sinus issues, skin problems, general lack of pep) I have found myself seeing out activities and habits that act as counterbalance to the toxicity.

In that vein, tonight I start a cleansing fast, also known as the Master Cleanse or the lemonade diet. It consists of a 10 day (ideally) fast of a tonic of fresh lemon juice, grade B maple syrup (like the extra virgin of maple syrups), and a dash of cayenne pepper in water. Lemon has long been known to have various health benefits, not limited to preventing scurvy but also helping in liver and kidney function. Maple syrup has high quantities of the B vitamins, calcium zinc, magnesium, phosphorus and iron. Both lemon and maple sport ridiculous amounts of antioxidants, as well. The cayenne pepper has some pretty major health benefits, too, like helping heart function, digestion, blood purification and production, and pain management. I am less versed in pepper but from what I have read, it seems kind of like a miracle plant.

Since I am congested all the time, I figured that early summer was just as good as late spring and so I begin my cleaning internally. I expect to have lots more energy for sewing and creativity and I expect to be challenged. Hopefully, my sense of humor will return as well. The past month I seem to be lacking, to say the least... I'm shooting for 10 days, but we'll see how it goes.

I squeezed my lemons and added my maple in preparation for tomorrow. The tonic is really quite delish! Good enough that I would serve to guests at my house for a little something different than your typical summer lemonade, gourmet even!

I wonder if anyone else out there has tried it or any other type of detoxification. If you have, let me know :)

2 comments:

renee said...

I haven't, but I've been dying to try it. Let me know how it goes.

Melody said...

I did that a few years back and I have to say that the lemony maple thing was great. I really didn't feel hungry. I'm sure I only made it 3-5 days (I've never been able to to a ten day fast) but afterwards, I felt great.