Saturday, March 15, 2008

Fabric Mart redux...

True, first impression wasn't so great, but upon closer inspection in the light of day I've had to revise my opinion. There is no hope for the sparkly camo, but still. The wool pieces, with one exception, acutally tropical weight. There is a gabardine in a shade of smoky blue that could easily become a suit or at the very least a drapey pair of trousers/slacks. And the pea green wool is destined to become something for my friend Trina, who is blessed with the olive skin that can actually work this fabric. Maybe not near the face but bottoms will work just fine. And the fabric I actually selected is quite lovely.

Did I mention the 4 pounds of buttons? That's a whole lotta buttons, friends. There were some great finds in the button bag! 11 Nautical blue 1.25" coat buttons that are awesome; I can't wait to use those on a white poplin or twill jacket with (maybe) navy piping. A large number of black, gray, and olive fabric covered shank buttons are in there, too. So far, I've dug through to find 3 7/8" brass buttons bearing the Brooks Brothers double B's; they seem to belong on a three buttoned blazer. However, if I chance to meet a person whose initials are BB, I just may be compelled to give them away. I'm going to have to take one evening and just have a major sorting session.

Overall, I did a cost average of the fabric purchase and it came to roughly $2/yd for 32 yards of fabric. The buttons are an incredible bargain; there must be close to a thousand in that bag.
Good deal, right? Now, to find a place to store everything...

1 comment:

Chicago Sarah said...

Sounds like you did okay from the mystery bag...mine is wadded up on the floor of my closet waiting for the day I have strength to attack it. Or move. ;)