Thursday, May 31, 2007

SWAP Meet

Dear readers, first, I must welcome those who have left comments! And, of course, everyone else, but especially those who actually wrote to me. Who knew I'd ever have an audience?!

My husband's parents departed last Saturday. The ride to Sky Harbor was really quiet and I was really weepy, which is no way to drive a car, lemme tell you. It was rather maudlin at the airport and truth be told, I was grateful that non-passengers aren't allowed near the gates any longer otherwise I would have had the time really work myself into a lather. Not a good look at 30 and I'm not much on drama in public spaces. The house is so empty now. And, I have to admit, my kitchen is not nearly as tidy...

I spent Sunday and Monday drowning my sorrow by remembering I had joined the SWAP over at Pattern Review and planning with a vengeance. While my in-laws were here, I took them to one of my favorite shops in Phoenix, SAS Fabric by the pound over on Indian School Rd, and picked up some wonderful pieces of inspiration. I bought five yards of a cream suiting with subtle maroon and navy pinstripes and a coordinating maroon chiffon. I'll post photos of them later...

So, with these two fabrics as my jumping off point, I planned out eleven garments for the Sewing With a Purpose challenge. I happen to love dresses, so I am going to try at least two, but we'll see how it goes. My next post will detail my progress to date. I've made a wearable muslin of my jacket of choice, McCall's 5189. I made the short-sleeved version on the upper right in a white stretch cotton poplin/denim/twill/I-can't-decide-what-it-is I bought at Joann's some months ago just because it was $1/yard and it was really, really white.


Details of the Sewing With a Purpose Challenge:
1) Sew 11 items per requirements below
2) All tops must go with all bottom
s
3) Jacket must go with all outfits

4) Voting will be done on the wardrobe as one entity, not on individual garments.
5) Wardrobe must be complete by July 31, 2007.

Items to be made: 6 tops 4 bottoms 1 jacket

Dress options - do one of the following instead:

1 dress, 5 tops, 4 bottoms, 1 jacket
OR
2 dresses, 5 tops, 3 bottoms, 1 jacket <-- I am shooting for this one! but if am really ambitious then... 3 dresses, 4 tops, 3 bottoms, 1 jacket

Prizes: There will be two winners based on the votes.

First Prize: $300 gift certificate from Textile Studio Patterns and Fabrics
Second Prize: $200 gift certificate from Textile Studio Patterns and Fabric

Sixty odd days left...Care to wager on whether I will finish on time???

1 comment:

Chicago Sarah said...

Of course you can! (says the woman who is running a 5k on Saturday- not because I can, but because I promised and my friends are dragging me along)

I can't wait to see the dresses. That's my summer project.